What to do if you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless


Getting in touch

If you are homeless, or concerned about the possibility of losing your home, you can obtain advice and assistance from us using the contact details at the foot of this page

Or you can attend the Duty Advice Service at St Aldates Chambers (opposite the Town Hall):

  • Monday to Thursday 9.30am to 4.00pm 

  • Friday 9.30am to 3.30pm

Seeking alternative accommodation

Prior to seeing a Duty Housing Advice Officer you should try to obtain alternative accommodation yourself, noting that if you are to rely on housing benefit, whether partial or full, this is unlikely to cover the rental amount of properties within Oxford City and you may need to look further away, at least to Oxfordshire, to find an affordable property. 

Current local housing allowance rates can be found for each area at Directgov - Local Housing Allowance Rates.

Seeking homelessness assistance

If you are homeless or are threatened with homelessness you can ask us for assistance under the provisions of the homeless legislation. 

It is your right to request a homeless application is considered. However, submitting a homeless application does not guarantee we will have a duty to provide you with accommodation. 

A Housing Options Officer will look into your application and make a decision on whether or not we have a duty to provide you with accommodation. We will check;

  1. If you are eligible for assistance

  2. If you are homeless or threatened with homelessness

  3. If you are in priority need

  4. If you are homeless intentionally

  5. If you have a local connection to the Oxford City area

If we decide to not accept you as statutory homeless we will normally only have a duty to advise and assist you, not to provide accommodation.  Whatever decision is made on your application, we will inform you of the outcome in writing.

To dispute a homeless decision we will need to receive a written request within 21 days of a decision giving your reasons for disagreeing with the decision. A more Senior Officer will then make a new decision and you will be notified in writing.

The Labour Party will place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better.

Please read this to review the updates about which cookies we use and what information we collect on our site.

To find out more about these cookies, see our privacy notice. Use of this site confirms your acceptance of these cookies.