Making a complaint about Academy or Free School

Academies, free schools and independent schools must also ensure that they have a written complaints procedure that allows for a complaint to be considered informally and then through a formal written procedure. If you are still dissatisfied the complaint can be heard in front of a panel of at least three people including someone who is independent of the school. If you are not satisfied after this it is possible to complain to the Education Funding Agency (academies and free schools) or directly to the Secretary of State (independent schools).

For more information about complaining to the Department for Education, the EFA or the Secretary of State read the GOV.UK web page.

Ofsted can consider complaints about schools but only where the complaint is about the whole school not about individual children.