Appealing a decision about benefits, tax credits or child maintenance


How to challenge a decision

Ask for the decision to be looked at again - this is called ‘mandatory reconsideration’. You’ll usually need to do this within one month of the date of a decision about most benefits, tax credits or child maintenance (sometimes known as ‘child support’).

You can’t usually appeal to the tribunal if you haven’t asked for mandatory reconsideration within the time limit.

After your mandatory reconsideration decision, you’ll usually need to appeal to the tribunal within a month.

Housing Benefit

You don’t need to ask for mandatory reconsideration if you’re appealing a decision about Housing Benefit - you’ll need to appeal to the local council that made the decision.

Help you can get

Contact Citizens Advice if you want help with your appeal, for example with filling in forms or going to a hearing.

You can also ask an adviser, friend, family member or lawyer to appeal on your behalf.

The Labour Party will place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better.

Please read this to review the updates about which cookies we use and what information we collect on our site.

To find out more about these cookies, see our privacy notice. Use of this site confirms your acceptance of these cookies.